There are 106 owner complaints spread out over 6 years, but the most belong to the 2005.
This generation ranks 30th in reliability out of 48 overall Hyundai generations.
This generation has been recalled 22 times. It's also part of 45 investigations and has 278 TSBs.
- engine excessive vibration when idling in the 2005 Sonata at 36342 miles
- electrical makes noise to start but would not start in the 2004 Sonata at 32000 miles
- electrical engine won't turn over,won't start in the 2004 Sonata at 34000 miles
- suspension rotted subframe in the 2000 Sonata at 98000 miles
- transmission transmission failure in the 2005 Sonata at 75000 miles
- accessories - interior sharp edges on door handles cut hands in the 2003 Sonata at 6000 miles