There are 10 owner complaints spread out over 5 years, but the most belong to the 1998.
This generation ranks 18th in reliability out of 48 overall Hyundai generations.
This generation has been recalled 10 times. It's also part of 12 investigations and has 201 TSBs.
- engine engine failure in the 1998 Sonata at 42000 miles
- steering rack & pinion went out in the 1999 Sonata at 100000 miles
- transmission transmission failure in the 1998 Sonata at 120000 miles
- engine trouble starting with frequent stalling in the 1995 Sonata at 101000 miles
- transmission transmission is leaking in the 1995 Sonata at 130000 miles
- electrical power window motors failed in the 1998 Sonata at 35000 miles