There are 23 owner complaints spread out over 4 years, but the most belong to the 2000.
This generation ranks 19th in reliability out of 48 overall Hyundai generations.
This generation has been recalled 6 times. It's also part of 2 investigations and has 148 TSBs.
- electrical won't start in the 2000 Elantra at 100250 miles
- transmission shifts into neutral when in overdrive in the 1997 Elantra at 109000 miles
- windows / windshield plastic window track breaks in the 2000 Elantra at 64925 miles
- wheels / hubs making a loud knocking noise in the 1999 Elantra at 80000 miles
- windows / windshield power window failure in the 2000 Elantra at 115500 miles
- accessories - interior interior door handles break off in the 1997 Elantra at 100000 miles